I’m not a developer but I’m so much interested to test android 10 on PC- Hackintosh not only for Android but for iOS too. The older versions of the android such as the Android KitKat and Lollipop emulators are available on Windows PC. Even some of them are open-source but the truth is that the latest versions of android, yet have not come to the emulators. The same goes for iOS, if you have a mac, certainly you can test the iOS on PC too but on windows yet it is not possible. To test Android Q on Windows PC-Hackintosh, you will require a fast internet connection and some files.
The next generation of Android is on the way and this time Google has provided the android Q a name known as Android 10. The beta version 6 was released on August 6th but now the full version of the android will be available soon enough on the third September. Google has added so many features compared to the Android Pie, later in this post, you will find out what are the features. The 23 listed phones will receive the updates for the Android 10, this theory is based upon the beta testing result. However, keep in mind the official updates for devices have not been released by Google.
|Google Pixel 3|
|Google Pixel 3 XL|
|Google Pixel 3a|
|Google Pixel 3a XL|
|Google Pixel 2|
|Google Pixel 2 XL|
|Google Pixel XL|
|Asus Zenfone 5Z|
|Huawei Mate 20 Pro|
|Realme 3 Pro|
|Sony Xperia XZ3|
|Techno Spark 3 Pro|
|Vivo Nex S|
|Vivo Nex A|
Download Required Files:
- Download Intel HAXM (Intel® Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager)
- Android Studio
- Download Java SE Development Kit (Optional)
What is Intel HAXM?
If you are a developer, certainly you know your PC has the support of the hypervisor (Virtualization Technology). Doesn’t matter it is made for the cell phones, like Android, iPhone or Desktop operating systems. The truth to be told about the Intel HAXM:
It is a cross-platform hardware-assisted Virtualization engine fro android emulators and QEMU. Since it is cross-platform, it can work on Windows, macOS, Linux and finally NetBSD. It runs as a kernel-mode driver on the host OS and provides Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) to userspace. That’s why enabling applications like QEMU to utilize the hardware virtualization capabilities built into modern Intel CPUs, namely Intel Virtualization Technology.
if it is downloaded or installed manually on the system while installing Android Studio it be downloaded automatically. So, the point is, download manually and install manually or let the android studio download and install it on the system. You installing Android is not a big deal and do not require too much time as the packages.
What is Android Studio?
There was a time where the android developers were using the Eclipse to develop their apps, and now there is google’s Android Studio. Android studio is the official integrated development environment for android which is built by JetBrains and Google over the Java, Kotlin, C++. With the cross-platform ability, you can download it on Windows, Linux, macOS, and Chrome OS. It has a license of freeware alongside the source code, so you should pay a cent.
- Android Studio provides the fastest tools for building apps on every type of Android devices.
- Create android apps for Android handsets, Wear OS by Google, Android TV, Android Auto, or Android Things.
- Visual layout support
- APK Analyzer
- Have fast emulator
- A beautiful code editor window
- It has a flexible build system which allows customizing your build to generate multiple build variants for different devices from a single project.
- Realtime profilers provide realtime statistics for app CPU, memory and network activity.
Java SE Development Kit (Optional)
Android studio code is built upon the Kottlin (Java), so, it is required to install before installing Android Studio “said by the developers”. Last year when I tested the Android Pie (Android 9.0) on android studio, I didn’t install any Java JDK, I didn’t notice that android studio downloaded that it. But in Quora, the developers said, The current version of the Android already contains the JDK (Java SE Development Kit), in the meantime you have to download and install JDK for an older version. So, it is up to you to install the JDK or no, but I am not installing the JDK on the system.
Just like the Android Studio, the JDK provides an environment for building applications with components using the Java programming language. In simple words, it contains tools for developing and testing programs written in the Java programming language and running on the Java platform.
Android Q New Features
- Security enhancements such as the Improved biometric authentication dialogs,
- Run embedded DEX code directly from APK
- TLS 1.3 support
- Public Conscrypt API
- Connectivity features such as Wi-Fi network request API for peer to peer connectivity, Wi-Fi network suggestion API for internet connectivity, Improvements to Wi-Fi high-performance and low-latency modes, Specialized lookups in DNS resolver, Wi-Fi Easy Connect, Wi-Fi Direct connection API, Bluetooth LE Connection-Oriented Channels (CoC).
- Telephony features such as Call screening and caller ID, Call redirection service API
- Improvements in creating files on external storage such as Pending status for new media files, Influence on the storage location.
- Media and graphics such as Sharing audio input, Audio playback capture, Seekbar in MediaStyle notifications, Native MIDI API, MediaCodecInfo improvements, ANGLE.
- Thermal API
- Camera and images improvements such as Monochrome camera support, Dynamic Depth Format, High-Efficiency Image File format, Improvements in multi-camera.
- Accessibility services API such as AccessibilityNodeInfo entry key flag, Accessibility dialog is spoken feedback, Accessibility shortcut when gesture navigation enabled, Accessibility shortcut for physical keyboards, Soft keyboard controller enhancement, User-defined accessibility timeouts.
- Autofill improvements such as Compatibility-related autofill requests, Save username and password simultaneously, User interaction with the Save UI, Support for updating datasets, Field Classification improvements, UserData.Builder constructor, Allow a Value to be mapped to multiple types of Category IDs, Improved support for credit card numbers and Support for app-specific field classification.
- UI and system control such as Support JVMTI PopFrame caps, Surface control API, WebView hung renderer detection, Settings panels, Sharing improvements and Dark theme.
- Foreground service types
- Kotlin such as Nullability annotations for libcore APIs.
- NDK such as Improved debugging of file descriptor ownership and ELF TLS.
- Runtime improvements cover the Mallinfo-based garbage collection triggering.
- Testing and debugging covers the Improvements for on-device system tracing.
- TextClassifier improvements cover Language detection and Suggested conversation actions.
- Smart replies/actions in notifications
How to Test Android Q (Android 10) on Windows PC- Hackintosh?
Step 1. Install the Intel HAXM
Download the Intel HAXM from the given link, if you don’t know HOw to download the Intel HAXM, click on the release and download it. for better understanding have a look at the screenshot.
After downloading the Intel HAXM Installer extract it from the Zipped file, then launch the setup.
Once the installation window is launched simply click next and it will install.
Step 2. Install Android Studio
The installation process of the Android studio on Windows is not so hard and it does not take so much time. So, the moment you download the android Studio double click on the setup to begin the installation.
- You have to click next on the welcome screen.
- In the components window, make sure the android virtual device is selected and click next.
- Verify the location where you want to install the android studio.
- let the Android studio should create a shortcut icon on the start menu.
- Finally, click finish.
Step 3. Setup Android Studio Settings
Android studio settings are not so much hard and yet it requires a fast and speedy internet connection. The exact amount of storage for the settings and packages of the android studio is not mentioned. Neither I can say How much storage it requires because every android developer uses Android studio for different purposes.
Step #1. To get started with setting up the settings of the Android Studio, after the launch of the Android studio, it gives you two options for the android studio. If you have already used the android studio, select the import android studio settings and locate the file, if it is your first time you have to select the Do not import any settings.
The android studio will look for the components of the Android SDK on the system, if it was not available on the PC, it will connect it to the servers of the Google to download them. So, you have to wait until it is downloaded.
Step #2. After the components of the Android Studio is downloaded you will be on the welcome screen of the Android Studio. You know you have click next.
Step #3. Choose an installation type for the android studio, custom settings or the standard setting of the android studio.
Step #4. A dark or light interface options are available where you can choose from, I prefer the light window. The light theme is known as the IntelliJ and the dark mode is known as the Darcula.
Step #5. the most important part where the internet connection must be on it’s best the downloading components of the SDK for android studio. Just have a look at the screenshot, the boxes of the Android SDK and Intel HAXM is checked for better performance. And since the android Virtual Device is already downloaded, it not checked by default. However, if it is not downloaded by default you have to check it and download it.
Step #6. The download process takes time depending on your internet connection, however, the actual size of the components of the Android SDK is 1.08 GB. These components are listed below.
- Android Emulator
- Android SDK Built Tools
- Android SDK Platform
- Android SDK Tools
- Android support repository
- Google repository
- HAXM installer
- SDK Patch applier
How to Install Android Q on PC on Android Studio?
Downloading the Android Studio Packages was the first step to install Android Q or Android 10 on Windows PC. But the truth to be told, another step remains to download and they are the system OS for the android virtual device.
Step 1. Create a New Project for Android Q
Once the SDK packages are downloaded, you need to create a new project for the Android, so on the welcome window, click create a new project.
Provide a name for the project you are about to create, also mention if you have an organization on the domain.
Select the device which you want to run Android Q (Android 10) on it, I will choose the Phone and Tablet.
For which purpose you are using the android studio, in other words for which activity, I will go with No activity settings. When the purpose or the type of activity is selected, it will download the component of the selected device.
Step 2. Create an Android Virtual Machine
To Create an Android Virtual Machine, go to Help menu> find action and, search for a manager. The manager opens the Android Virtual Device, there you have to select Create Virtual Device.
Choose the cellphone which you like so much for using, I will go the pixel 2 XL, also choose a resolution for the android device.
The last step for setting and using Android Q is to choose a system Image, You can choose any android operating system. But since you are looking for testing the Android Q on PC, select the Android Q to download the preview version.
Once the download button is clicked agree to the terms and conditions then wait until it is downloaded.
Once the Android Q is downloaded, you have to configure the device orientation, device frame, and some other settings.
Now you are ready to test the Android Q (Android 10), simply click on the play button to start running the android Q.