Table of Content:
- Foolish Assumption
- About This Book
- Icons used in This Book
- Beyond the Book
- Where to GO from Here
PART 1: TIE MYSELF DOWN WITH A DESKTOP?
Chapter 1: Hey, It Really Does Have Everything I Need
- An Overview of Your Mac Laptop
- The parts you probably recognize
- The holes called ports.
- Don’t forget the parts you cant see
- Meet the MacBooks
- Comparing the MacBooks
- Look, Ma, no moving parts!
- What if I need that pesky optical drive?
- Location, Location, Location!
- Unpacking and Connecting Your Laptop
- Unpacking for the road warrior
- Connecting Cables 101
- Great- a Lecture about Handling My Laptop
- An Overview of Mac Software Goodness
- What comes with my laptop?
- Connecting to the Internet from your lap
- Applications that rock
- Boot Camp for Dummies
- Other stuff that nearly everyone wants
Chapter 2: Turning On Your Portable Powerhouse
- Tales of the On Button
- Mark’s Favorite Signs Of a Healthy Laptop..
- You Wont Lecture Me about Batteries, Will You?-
- Setting up and Registering Your Laptop
- Your iCloud account is your friend
- Setting up macOS Catalina
- Registering your MacBook
- Importing Stuff from Another Mac..
Importing Stuff from Windows (If You Must)
Chapter 3: The MacBook Owners Introduction to macOS Catalina
- Your Own Personal Operating System
- The Catalina Desktop
- Meet me at the Dock
- Dig those crazy icons
- There’s no food on this menu
- The Finder menu bar is your friend
- There’s always room for one more window
- Wait a Second: Where the Heck Are the Mouse Buttons?
- Launching and Quitting Applications with Aplomb
- Performing Tricks with Finder Windows
- Scrolling in and resizing windows
- Minimizing and restoring windows
- Moving and zooming windows
- Closing windows
- Juggling Folders and Icons
- A field observers guide to icons
- Selecting items
- Copying items
- Moving things from place to place
- Duplicating in a jiffy
- Using Finder Tabs
- Keys and Keyboard Shortcuts to Fame and Fortune
- Special keys on the keyboard
- Using the Finder and application keyboard shortcuts
- Home, Sweet Home Folder
- Working with Mission Control
- Switching Desktops with Spaces
- Personalizing Your Desktop
- Customizing the Dock
- Adding applications and extras to the Dock
- Keeping track with Stacks
- Resizing the Dock
- Whats with the Trash?
- All You Really Need to Know about Printing
- And Just in Case You Need Help
- The Catalina built-in Help system
- The Apple web-based support center
- Local Mac user groups
Part 2: Shaking Hands with macOS Catalina
Chapter 4: What’s new in macOS Catalina
- The Protected System Volume
- Porting iOS Applications to Catalina
- The Arrival of Music, TV, and Podcasts
- A New Home for Apple ID
- Extending Your MacBook with Sidecar
- Using Screen Time
- Make Unsubscribing Easy
Chapter 5: A Nerd’s Guide to System Preferences
- An Explanation — without Jargon. No Less
- Locating That Certain Special Setting
- Popular Preferences Panes Explained
- The Displays pane
- The Desktop & Screen Saver pane
- Mission Control preferences
- The General pane
- The Energy Saver pane
- The Dock pane
- The Sharing pane.
- The Time Machine pane
- Apple ID preferences
- Notifications preference
Chapter 6: Sifting Through Your Stuff
- Doing a Basic Search.
- How Cool Is That? Discovering What Spotlight Can Do
- Expanding Your Search Horizons
- Customizing Spotlight to Your Taste
Chapter 7: Using Reminders. Notes, Notifications, and Maps
- Remind Me to Use Reminders
- Taking Notes the Catalina Way
- Staying Current with Notification Center
- Introducing the Maps Application
- Switching Views in Maps
- Getting Directions Over Yonder
Part 3 : CONNECTING AND COMMUNICATING
Chapter 8: Let’s Go Safari!
- Pretend You’ve Never used This Thing
- Visiting Websites
- Navigating the Web
- Setting up Your Home Page
- Adding and using Bookmarks
- Working with the Reading List
- Downloading Files…
- Using History .
- Tabs Are Your Browsing Friends .
- Printing Web pages…
- Protecting Your Privacy……
- Yes, there are such things as bad cookies. .
- Banishing pesky iCloud Keychain passwords
- Handling ancient history
- Setting notifications
- Avoiding those pop-up ads .
Chapter 9: iCloud Is Made for MacBooks
- so How Does iCloud Work, Anyway?
- Moving. Saving, and Opening iCloud Documents
- Putting Handoff to Work
- Configuring iCloud
- Managing Your iCloud Storage
Chapter 10: Your Laptop Goes Multiuser
- Once Upon a Time (An Access Fairy Tale) .
- Big-Shot Administrator Stuff .
- Deciding who needs what access
- Adding users.
- Modifying user accounts .
- I banish thee, mischievous . .
- Setting up login items and managing access
- Tackling Mundane Chores for the Multiuser Laptop
- Logging in and out Of Catalina For Dummies
- Interesting stuff about sharing stuff
- Encrypting your Home folder can be fun
Chapter 11: Working Well with Networks
- What Exactly Is the Network Advantage?
- Should You Go Wired or Wireless?.
- Be a Pal: Share Your Internet!
- Using your MacBook as a sharing device
- Using a dedicated Internet-sharing device